Courageous Conversations with Dr Emma Kell
Tuesday 23rd April, 3:30pm to 5:30pm
Led by Emma Kell, this interactive session will take a pragmatic and solution-focused approach to building on existing good practise and improving school engagement with parents and carers. Based on Emma’s 25 years in schools and specific research for A Little Guide to Engaging Parents with Schools (Sage, 2022), the sessions will provide opportunities to:
- Reflect on current ‘wins’ (what’s going well and what’s working effectively) and current challenges
- Articulate clear goals with regard to parent/carer engagement and consider the current barriers, with reference to both parents/carers as a community and individual cases
- Consider challenges faced by families and the impact they are having on their engagement with school
- Focus on courageous conversations and communication; how can we address inherent power structures and ensure both parties listen and are truly heard?
- Formulate proactive strategies to address issues on the horizon
The sessions will include key data from the current research and chances to reflect and discuss key issues in an honest and positive way.
The session will take place 3:30pm-5:30pm via zoom and all teaching staff and TA’s are welcome.