Let the DfE know how you will be supporting your ECT on the DfE portal
- Register with a full induction programme and Appropriate Body
Early Career Framework (ECF)
From September 2021, all Early Career Teachers have a statutory entitlement to a two-year programme of support and development based on the Early Career Framework.
Schools can choose to sign up for a full induction programme, use the high-quality core induction materials to deliver their own early career teacher and mentor training, or to design and deliver their own ECF-based induction programme. Schools must also sign up with an Appropriate Body to oversee the statutory assessment of their ECT’s induction period.
Red Kite Teaching School Hub will be delivering the Teach First full induction programme to schools across North and West Yorkshire. We are also an Appropriate Body.
What we offer
- Experience of running an ECF programme
- Dedicated Early Career Leader to support you with the ECF
- Networking events for similar schools
- Small school support and solutions
- Additional training for school leaders to enhance and support the ECF
- Single point of contact for ITT, ECF and AB
- Smooth communication from colleagues that understand schools
- Facilitators from schools in our region who understand the context of your school
What you need to do if you have a newly qualified teacher starting at your school
Glossary of terms
ECT - Early Career Teacher
A teacher in their first two years of teaching.
ECF – Early Career Framework
A framework of standards for early career teachers which underpins the statutory entitlement to early career professional development.
Full induction programme
A complete, funded programme for ECTs, based on the ECF, created by a lead provider and delivered by a delivery partner.
One of six national providers accredited by the DfE to provide funded ECF training. These are Teach First, Education Development Trust, UCL, Ambition Institute, Best Practice Network and Capita.
An organisation working with a Lead Provider to deliver their full induction programme to schools. The Lead provider will create the resources and programme, but the Delivery Partner will recruit schools, support them and deliver all the conferences and seminars to their teachers. Teaching School Hubs are the principal Delivery Partners nationally, and Red Kite is the Delivery Partner for Teach First in our region.
The accredited body that oversees the statutory induction of Early Career Teachers and assesses whether they have met the Teachers’ Standards.
This is an online management system used by many Appropriate Bodies, including Red Kite. It is an efficient, paperless way to register ECTs for induction and submit assessments.
The person who oversees the ECF programme in school and ensures the ECT and mentor are fulfilling the expectations. This is usually the same person as the Induction Tutor.
The person who oversees the ECT’s statutory induction and liaises with the Appropriate Body.
The mentor plays a significant role in supporting the ECT’s development. DfE funding is designed to provide capacity for the mentor to spend time every week with the ECT and attend training.
Schools MUST register full details of everyone involved in supporting each ECT on the DfE portal
You must let them know:
- Which ECF route you are using (full induction programme, using the core induction materials or creating your own programme)
- If you have chosen full induction programme, which lead provider you are going with (there are six national lead providers. Red Kite TSH is working with Teach First)
- Who your ECF induction tutor is in school (this is whoever will be overseeing the ECT’s induction and completing the paperwork. All emails to the school about the ECF from the DfE will come to the address you provide here)
- Who the ECT is
- Who the mentor is
You will need to provide full information, including TRNs. This is to ensure that you receive the right funding. Please take care to input the correct information in order to get the ECT smoothly onto the programme. It is vital you link the Mentor and ECT on the portal.
- Initial Teacher Training (ITT)
- Early Career Framework (ECF)
- Appropriate Body (AB)
- National Professional Qualifications (NPQs)
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD)